The gardens were originally laid out from 1906-66, by Colonel Giles Loder, a cousin of the Loders of Wakehurst and Leonardslee. They are now managed, to a high standard, by a private non-profit making charitable trust. There are many rare trees and shrubs, including the National Collection of Sterwartia Trees, and tree and walking trails. Everything is well labelled. The restaurant, serving lunches and tea, is situated in the very attractively restored Victorian Farm buildings, which include the Clock Tower. The clock was installed to commemorate Colonel Loder's Derby winner, Spion Cop.