Carn Moor is a small remaining fragment of the once extensive Tywarnhayle Common. The Wheal Albert line started in 1860, but was only operational for ten years. Remnants of the industrial history are scattered across the site and still visible today. The site was once involved in galena (lead ore) mining. Silver was also recovered. The original engine house is still visible today, whilst many spoil heaps and capped mines are located across the moor. Stock are used to keep the vegetation at heights and structures most beneficial to wildlife. Areas of encroaching willow carr and gorse are regularly cut back and the ponds are maintained through dredging and vegetation removal.