Haddon Lake House is an eco-friendly self-build set in a two-acre lakeside and walled garden, part of the leisure grounds of a significant Victorian estate dating from 1832 in the Undercliff, an area of outstanding natural beauty on the Island.
The project has included the careful reinstatement of the early Victorian walled kitchen garden complete with in-period greenhouse, cold frames, potting shed and access paths arranged in a decorative potager design. Trained fruit complements the re-pointed stone walls, and the varieties of produce chosen reflect not only the era of the garden but also its favoured location.
Adjoining the walled garden are the ornamental lake and woodland, dating from 1832. Restoration has included the dredging of the lake, clearance of woodland scrub to reveal the magnificent mature trees, reinstatement of the gravelled woodland walks.
As part of our open access policy we welcome small groups to visit the garden, by arrangement and without charge.