The farm dates back to 1645 and used to be owned by Florence Nightingale’s family, who used the land for shooting. It used to be a dairy farm of 55 acres but now supports beef cattle. The farm lies between the Cromford Canal and the River Derwent, both interesting resources in their own right, and adjacent to a nature reserve to which there is access. The pastures contain a variety of wildflowers and are particularly noted for the wild daffodils. It diversified in self-catering holiday accommodation in 1989 and ceased farming in October 1998 . The land is now let for grazing.