The current owner's Great Grandfather bought the left hand portion of the estate which amounted to around 70 acres, shortly afterwards he rented a further 20 acres of land from the church commissioners, which is shown as the Glebe land on the map. For many years the land was farmed in conjunction with their main farm at Stressholme. As the land at Croft was about 4 miles from Stressholme, and all travel was either on horseback or by foot, it was decided to erect some stock buildings to make it possible to overwinter stock at Monk End. In 1936 a bungalow was built to house a stockman to ease the work in travelling from Stressholme. A dairy was also built that year.