Home > Places to Visit > Chelsea Physic Garden

Chelsea Physic Garden

Chelsea Physic Garden

The Chelsea Physic Garden was founded in 1673, as the Apothecaries' Garden, with the purpose of training apprentices in identifying plants. The location was chosen as the proximity to the river created a warmer microclimate allowing the survival of many non-native plants - such as the largest outdoor fruiting olive tree in Britain - and more importantly, to allow plants to survive harsh British winters. In 1700s Dr. Hans Sloane, after whom the nearby locations of Sloane Square and Sloane Street were named, purchased the Manor of Chelsea from Charles Cheyne. This purchase of about 4 acres was leased to the Society of Apothecaries for

Address

66 Royal Hospital Road
London
SW3 4HS

Contact Details

020 7352 5646
Back to places to visit